Sunday 18 July 2010

Local Colour in Coyoacán, July 2010


This morning, Sunday, I walked to the local meeting of Weight Watchers, where I was delighted to find I could follow everything the leader said and most of what the members shared. There were a couple of people who spoke too indistinctly for me to follow, but overall it was really a good meeting, though as the systems used here and in Australia differ quite a bit, I can't get much guidance on computing Aussie Points from Mexican food labels. Never mind, my estimation is OK for the most part.

As I exited the meeting, I saw the woman with her hammock cart which resembles a fully rigged sailing ship - I saw it from the car yesterday so was delighted to find it on the street where I could catch a couple of photos. The meeting place is right across the road from the Viveros (the nursery which grows all the trees for the public parks in the City). So after the meeting I walked a couple of times around - it boasts a 2 km tan track, very busy on Sundays, with families, joggers, walkers and watchers. In the open areas groups of people of all ages were practising various martial arts and bullfighting.

I walked home via El Jarocho, my favourite coffee place here, where a skinny cappuccino costs about $1US. I took the rest of the photos I am linking you to within 2 blocks of the coffee shop - the food stands demonstrate why Weight Watchers is so needed, as do the many shots taken in the local panadería , and the artesanías on the street, while perhaps not as high quality as those in some of the better markets and shops, are really tempting. All this is within a few blocks of where we are living, the same apartment we have rented several times in the past for up to 6 months at a time. Now I see them on the web, I realise the iPhone photo quality is not as good as my camera takes, but they do give a sense of the local colour. I hope you enjoy them: here is the link to go to or to paste into your browser. By the way, the odd-looking bald dog at the end is a native Mexican variety that you may have seen in Frida Kahlo's paintings- I think it is called an escuintle, I will check with Wikipedia before posting.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/bjoymarsh/20100718LocalColourInCoyoacan#

No comments: